04 Apr Is pest control harmful to pets?
Is pest control harmful to pets?
Is pest control harmful to pets?
Pest control solutions may involve the application of strong chemicals that can be harmful to kids and pets. As a pet owner, you have reasons to feel concern about pest control safety.
What you might not know is that there are pet-friendly pest control methods. Professional companies will generally ask you if you have pets or kids in the home. That way, they can recommend a customized solution for you.
In this article, let’s take a deep dive and know more about the different pest control methods in the market. Understanding your options will help you to proactively work with your local pest control companies in safely eradicating pests from your home or business.
What is pet-friendly pest control methods?
Pet-friendly pest control may involve the integration of modern means to ensure pet safety during application. It utilizes non-toxic products and safe pest control techniques, which do not pose any risks to pet at all such as your cats and dogs. As oppose to traditional pest control, which utilizes pesticides, it can be applied even with pets in your home. The following are some examples of pet friendly control methods.
• Use of natural repellents such as essential oils, peppermint, clove, and eucalyptus. These oils can be applied to areas where pests are present or added to a diffuser to repel them from a larger area.
• Use of physical barriers such as screens and mesh to prevent pests from entering homes or yards.
• Sealing up cracks and gaps around your windows and doors, which can be effective in keeping pests out.
• Use of Integrated Pest Management (IPM), another approach that incorporates several non-toxic pest control methods, including pest monitoring, exclusion, and elimination techniques. This method uses environmentally-friendly pest control techniques to control pests, while minimizing the impact on the environment and the safety of pets and humans.
• Using barriers, such as screens and mesh, to prevent pests from entering homes or yards. Sealing up cracks and gaps around windows and doors can also be effective at keeping pests out.
Tips To Keep Your Pests Safe During Pest Control
When it comes to pest control, many pet owners are understandably concerned about the safety of their furry friends. Pesticides and other treatments can be toxic to animals, and it’s essential to take steps to protect your pets during the process. Here are some tips to help you keep your pets safe during pest control.
Schedule treatments for when your pets will be out of the house.
Whenever possible, schedule pest control treatments for a time when your pets will be elsewhere. This could mean arranging for them to stay with a friend or family member, or simply taking them out for a walk or a visit to the park while the treatment is being done.
Use pet-friendly treatments.
There are many pet-friendly pest control options available, such as sprays and powders made from natural ingredients like essential oils. If you’re hiring a professional pest control company, make sure they use pet-friendly products.
Keep your pets away from treated areas.
If you can’t remove your pets from the house during the treatment, make sure to keep them away from any treated areas. This may mean confining them to a specific room or of the house until treatment is completed. The pest control company will also tell you what to do and can recommend strategic ways to keep your pets safe.
Ventilate the house.
After the treatment is done, make sure to ventilate the house thoroughly by opening windows and doors. This will help to reduce the amount of pesticide residue in the air. Take extra precaution if you have birds and reptiles as pets because they are especially sensitive to pesticides. Cover their cages or provide them with temporary home while your property is being
treated with pesticide.
Clean up thoroughly.
After the treatment, clean up any pesticide residue that may have been left behind. This includes vacuuming carpets and upholstery, wiping down surfaces, and washing any pet bedding or toys that may have been exposed.
Watch for signs of toxicity.
Keep an eye on your pets for any signs of toxicity, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian right away.
How Can You Keep Your Pets Safe During Pest Control?
If your pets remain home during a treatment, make sure that you follow a few simple guidelines in order to keep them safe. These include:
• Keep them out of the rooms in which treatment is being performed. If possible, confine your dogs or cats to pet carriers while the Smithereen technician is in the property. This will keep them from accidentally coming in contact with any pest-eliminating product.
• Don’t introduce pets to a treated area until after any product has dried. Sometimes your technician may ask you to keep pets out of a room for an extended period, but it’s usually safe to allow your furry friends to return once a spray has dried.
• Take special precautions with birds and reptiles. Because these kinds of pets can be especially sensitive to pesticides, make sure to cover their cages to prevent any overspray or aerosolized droplets from reaching them.
Read What Our Customers Have To Say
WHAT SERVICES DO WE OFFER?
We offer a bunch of services and treatments to control pest infestation for the masses all across Australia. Our pest control services can manage:
Flying insects (wasps, bees, flies, mosquitoes, etc.)
Crawling insects (termites, spiders, cockroaches, ants, etc.)
Birds and rodents (rats, mice, birds, etc.)
Our team of experts works towards returning your home back to you just so you can resume your life without any disruption or hassle, which is exactly what makes The Local Guys Pest Control the absolute best in the game!
Request A Quote
Please fill in ALL the below information and one of our friendly staff will contact you within 2 Business to discuss your pest control needs.