04 Apr Here Are The Most Common Pests In Australia And How To Deal With Them
Here Are The Most Common Pests In Australia And How To Deal With Them
Here Are The Most Common Pests In Australia And How To Deal With Them
Australia is popular for its wide variety of dangerous and troublesome pests. Most of the common pests you will find in Australian homes are rodents, termites, flies, spiders, and even snakes. While animals like spiders and snakes can be dangerous to humans, some pests like termites only concerns the property.
In 2014, research shows that 1 in 4 Australian homes have been affected by termites at leas once. Termite destruction can cause up to $8,000 and the cost can easily add up. Even so, these pests can cause serious trouble especially if you ignore them for a while.
Whether you privately own a property or you are renting a property, you must be vigilant about pest control. If you’re not sure which pest you’re dealing with, do not hesitate to call a pest control service to help you out. In this article, we have listed the most common pests in Australia and how to deal with them.
Termites are very common pests in Australia especially in Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, and Brisbane since the climate is favorable to them, and they have lots of buildings. These pests are basically attracted to woods, as they its main source of food. It is vital to know that termites are among the most serious Australian pests and that they should not be taken lightly. Once you notice some signs of termite presence in your home, you must act immediately to eliminate them. The following are some ways to get rid of termites.
• Use termite spray or boric acid to their homes, and to their colony
• Apply orange oil or neem oil to remedy minor infestation
• Treat or paint your woods to prevent termite entry on woods
• Hire a pest control company for severe infestations
Spiders are generally considered intimidating and dangerous because of how menacing they look and that some of hem actually have enough toxins to kill humans. In Australia, there was only one incident when a person bitten by a redback spider and died later. Redback spiders are common pests in Australia
The first spider bite-related death was recorded in Australia, which happened after redback spider has bitten a person. Redback spiders are identifiable by its red dorsal stripe on the back. It is commonly known as Black Widow and are scattered din different cities around Australia. It has thick webs but your chances of getting bitten is low as long as you don’t touch the spider webs. The following are some tips on how you can deal with them.
• Seal entry holes and use spider sprays to eradicate them
• Repair window screens, fix any holes, and cover any entry points where spiders can pass through
• Keep your landscaping tidy, treat your plants with pesticides, and clean up shady areas where spiders normally lurk
• Remove preys such as flies, fruits and other sources that invite other insects
• Combat spiders with essential oils and repellants
Mice and rats
While they don’t normally bite, mice and rats are hazardous to our health because of the wide variety of deadly diseases that they can spread. Moreover, they can cause damage to the building’s insulation and wirings as they chew them. These pests usually work in dump or dirty areas. The following are some tips you can follow to get rid of mice and rats.
• Set up traps. Consider using snap traps, glue traps, and live traps. You can place them in areas where you suspect the mice and rats are traveling.
• Use poison baits. This method involves placing baits containing rodenticide in areas where the mice and rats are likely to consume them. However, this method should be used with caution, as it can pose a risk to children and pets.
• Use ultrasonic repellents. These devices emit high-frequency sound waves that are supposed to deter mice and rats from entering your home. However, their effectiveness is debatable, and they may not work in all situations.
• Seal entry points. Mice and rats can enter your home through small cracks and holes in the walls, floors, and foundation. By sealing these entry points, you can prevent them from entering.
• Hire a pest control professional. If you are unable to control the mouse or rat infestation on your own, it may be time to call in a professional pest control service.
Cockroaches are everywhere but when they get inside your home, they can be troublesome. These pests generally infest warm and damp spaces, especially bathrooms, kitchens, and wall cavities. You will most likely notice them during dark, when they come out to search for food. However, the World Health Organization recommends to get rid of them right away as their droppings can increase the risk of eczema and asthma in children.
• Use an insect spray, cockroach traps, or insecticides
• Seal cracks, holes, and crevices specially in the basement or ceiling
• Get rid of any cardboard boxes, where they can live and propagate
• Regularly clean your kitchen thoroughly
• Limit access to water sources, clean damp areas and keep them dry as much as possible
Flies are common nuisance in Australia, especially the warmer months when their popular increases. nuisance in Australia, especially during the warmer months when their numbers increase. These pests can be found almost everywhere, from homes to outdoor spaces, and are known to carry diseases that can pose health risks to humans and animals. Here are some tips on how to deal with flies in Australia. To get rid of flies, you can use the following techniques.
Keep your home clean and tidy: Flies are attracted to food, garbage, and organic waste. Ensure that your home is free of food scraps and empty food containers, and store garbage in sealed containers to prevent flies from accessing it.
• Install screens on doors and windows: This is an effective way to keep flies out of your home while still allowing fresh air in.
• Use fly traps and baits: There are many commercially available fly traps and baits that can help to reduce fly populations. These products are designed to lure flies into a trap or kill them with a slow-acting poison.
• Consider using natural remedies: There are many natural remedies that can be used to repel flies, such as essential oils, vinegar, and herbs like basil and mint. These remedies can be sprayed around the home or used in homemade fly traps.
• Keep your pets clean: Flies are attracted to animal waste and can be a nuisance for pets as well as humans. Make sure to clean up after your pets and keep their living areas clean to reduce the likelihood of a fly infestation.
• Use professional pest control services: If you are dealing with a severe fly infestation, it may be necessary to enlist the help of a professional pest control company. They will have the tools and expertise to effectively eliminate the pests and prevent future infestations.
Read What Our Customers Have To Say
WHAT SERVICES DO WE OFFER?
We offer a bunch of services and treatments to control pest infestation for the masses all across Australia. Our pest control services can manage:
Flying insects (wasps, bees, flies, mosquitoes, etc.)
Crawling insects (termites, spiders, cockroaches, ants, etc.)
Birds and rodents (rats, mice, birds, etc.)
Our team of experts works towards returning your home back to you just so you can resume your life without any disruption or hassle, which is exactly what makes The Local Guys Pest Control the absolute best in the game!
Request A Quote
Please fill in ALL the below information and one of our friendly staff will contact you within 2 Business to discuss your pest control needs.